Friday, August 12, 2016

Nicole by OPI A Heart of Gold


Today's polish has a bad reputation. I mean, the specific polish has no reputation that I know of...

It's Nicole by OPI A Heart of Gold
But it's part of two controversial categories. First, it's a NOPI. NOPIs aren't popular, and I believe it's because of the obnoxious bottle shape. It's got a rounded back and a flat front, so NOPI bottles don't fit in any drawer with any other polish or indeed with others of its kind. The brush in mine also sucked.
This brush has a more pronounced C-curve than my nails
I don't think I've talked about where I've gotten most of my polishes, but I will say where I bought this one. It was at a Walgreens, for $2.19. This Walgreens no longer carries NOPI, so I guess I bought it during a stock liquidation, As an aside, you know what store does still carry NOPI? My local Ulta. Why? Why can't they focus on their Zoya selection or getting new China Glaze collections faster? 


The second divisive aspect of A Heart of Gold is that it's a textured polish. Textures are a love or hate proposition for a lot of people. AHoG has a fine, sandy texture similar to a Zoya Pixie Dust, my favorite kind of texture. I have some chunkier textures that kind of bug me. Of course, if you're anti-texture, you can always slap on some top coat.
Like so
AHoG is sparklier with top coat, since like most textures it dries matte. One coat of Seche Vite is enough to smooth it completely because of its fine grain.

 So I don't like NOPI as a brand, but I do like textures and I like the formula of this polish. These pictures are three fast-drying coats. Sadly, I also don't like the color that much. It's gold, but it's such a yellow gold that I don't like the way it looks on me very much. I had some problems with my lighting, apparently, because no two of these photos turned out to be the same color and they were all too dark. So I know you can't tell what color this is from my photos, but it is not very gold and not metallic at all and not shimmery. It's a yellowy texture. I had more positive feelings for this polish after I swatched it, but before I wrote this post. I'm surprised I wrote so much about this! I think if I write any more about this polish, I'll talk myself into hating it! That's all for A Heart of Gold. Tomorrow is nail art Saturday, so read to see how I put this week's polishes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment