Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Halloweek Spooktacular Day Three - Sinful Colors Play Dead

What's this? What's this? A new polish on my blog! I had been reading about Sinful Colors' Halloween collection, and I just had to go check it out. I neither work nor live near a Walgreen's, but I made a special trip to the closest one and picked out a few new Sinfuls. Today, we're looking at Play Dead, a truly special polish.
Here it is at one coat (all other pics are two). The base is a pretty foily silver that's somewhat sheer, but gives great coverage. I mean, look at that! There's barely even any VNL!

 At two coats, it's a silver metallic with a somewhat lumpy look and orange hex glitters peeking through the base. It's got a warty look that makes me wish someone would use this finish with a green palette. Maybe Sinful Colors will bring this finish back next year. I know of another company who made quite a few polishes like this, collection after collection...except in a Halloween collection, where this weird finish is actually appropriate and fun.
 Top coat brings out the sparkle of the foil, but also emphasizes the lumpy bumpiness. If I was going to wear Play Dead out and about, I'd either skip the tc completely or do this:
With a matte top coat over the quick dry, Play Dead becomes its best self, in my opinion. It has a surface-of-the-moon quality, but the orange glitter makes it uncanny and strange. I'm kind of blown away that Sinful Colors took this horrible finish, adopted it, and found a way to make it effective and interesting. The formula on this one is also surprisingly excellent. In a time when mainstream brands have been basically ignoring Halloween - and even Christmas, this year - Sinful really stepped in and took control. Come back tomorrow to see what other outstanding offerings this collection contains!

No comments:

Post a Comment