Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Year, New Nails, New Post

Hello once again, potential and actual readers. The new year has arrived, a time for reflection and resolution, and I've decided to get back on the proverbial horse and fire up the old blog again. I feel a lot better now. This isn't a "personal" blog, but I'll tell you, the week of the election I started a new shift at work, and I also started my period. It was no good all around. Since then, I've been doing a lot of thinking and reading, dipped my toe in activism, settled in at work, and just generally gotten to a better place where I feel like it would be fun to start blogging again. Two blogs I used to read regularly concluded in December; while I'm going to miss them, I've also started branching out and reading a lot of new blogs, which has been great. Also, my nails grew out and I've got them back to my favorite shape. I'm a lot more happy and comfortable with pointy nails, and I've figured out the perfect length for them. To top it all off, I have lots of new polishes to swatch from Black Friday sales! I'm just generally feeling a lot more inspired, and I'm also loving my New Year's mani.
This is Powder Perfect Elysium, which was released to celebrate PP's third anniversary. It's a silver linear holo filled with a million little rainbow flakies. I think there's a little holo microglitter scattered in there, too. This is three coats, I could have been done at two but with these flakie-packed holos I always want to do one more coat to try to get the perfect distribution! Fortunately, these kind of polishes from PP are always flawlessly formulated; never too thick, never patchy, not slow-drying but also never drying too fast and getting goopy while you're trying to work with it. Another great thing about the formula: these pictures were taken after I got out of the shower, and yesterday I washed a bunch of dishes wearing this mani and no gloves. You can see I've got a little tip wear, but that's life with pointy nails. Most brands would have chipped after so much abuse.
 I stamped with an image from Powder Perfect's Art Deco stamping plate, which has become one of my very favorite nail art tools, using Powder Perfect Black stamping polish and Color Club Harp On It. If you check out my Instagram (@boldgold85), you can see a stamping-free swatch of Elysium, and also a ton of other manis stamped with this plate.
The plan going forward is this: I'm going to be continuing with my previous format (going through my collection in rough alphabetical order, swatching three days a week, nail art on Saturdays), but my nail art days are going to be a little different because I'm participating in a couple of challenges this year. So stay tuned for more swatches, nail art both good and bad, ill-advised editorializing, and a whole new world of unsweetened nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment